|Don't step away while you're broiling your pizza. They burn easily.|
Let's face it us guys have all done some version of this when the wife was gone and not supervising us or during those magical years before we were married. That said, if you have your druthers, you'll probably prefer a real pizza made by someone who knows how.
BUT - if you're really desperate for that pizza-ish goodness and you don't have any frozen ones, there is something you can do to temporarily satisfy your craving while Dominoes finds your house and you find enough change under the sofa cushions to pay for the thing.
You need three things:
- Flour tortillas
- Spaghetti sauce, tomato ketchup, picanta sauce - practically anything that's saucy and made from tomatoes.
- Cheese - also a flexible ingredient in desperate circumstances. I once made this dish with cream cheese.
- Lay out however many "pizzas" you're going to want.
- Smear your tomato sauce on the pizza. Season to taste. I have a friend who likes to put cayenne on his. I like mine a little more mild. Don't make it too thick or the crust will get too soggy. Just a light smear is best.
- Sprinkle on a nice covering of cheese. Mozzarella is best, but you'd be surprise how good Havarti or Cheddar are in a pinch.
- Add anything else you want - onions, peppers, olives, mushrooms, leftover hamburger or some lunch meat, pineapple or sardines - whatever pops your cork. Make it as dry as you can because flour tortillas get soggy pretty quick if you make 'em too juicy.
- Stick them on a pizza stone (recommended) or a baking sheet in the oven and turn it on broil. Don't go away. It takes just a couple of minutes. If you go to pee while they're in the oven on broil they'll turn out black around the edges like the ones in the picture above. I mean, they're still edible, but they're better if you don't burn the edges. You can also put them in the oven at 425 degrees, but that takes 8 or 10 minutes and this is, after all, an emergency situation.
My advice is eat them fast and clean up the evidence. Ketchup/cheddar/tortilla pizzas are generally viewed as barbaric by the fairer sex.
Alternate Microwave Method:
You CAN stick these babies in the microwave, but they will come out soggy. But if that's all you've got, you can roll them up like a pizza burrito and eat them that way and they're still pretty good. Call 'em pizzaritos and it sounds like you meant to make them like that. A little sour cream in the middle and you're in good shape.