Monday, July 15, 2013
Homemade Mosquito Repellant
I can't stand Off Spray. I'll say that up front. I've tried Avon Skin-So-Soft and while it may work, it's hard to find an Avon Lady anymore and it makes you smell like a girl. If you're looking for something less toxic, this might be an alternative for you. It uses natural stuff like cloves and almond oil and good old alcohol. It should keep away mosquitoes, flies and fleas. You can even use it on your dog, but probably need to do it more like daily rather than like the monthly kind. If you are a bit unsure about using chemical repellants, though, this provides you an alternative.
· 7 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
· 3½ ounces of whole cloves
· 3½ ounces of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)
1. Marinate cloves in sealed jar with alcohol 4 days
2. Stir twice daily during marinating process
3. When marinating is complete, add baby oil
4. Shake up and decant liquid into storage bottles with eyedroppers.
· Place a few drops of the oil onto your arms and legs and gently rub into skin. For pets gently rub into their fur where they can't lick it off (behind the head is good).